iOn™ Natural Nylon Filament – 1.75mm
- ABS/Acetone Slurry
- Additional information
- Reviews (0)
iOn™ Nylon Copolymer was created to bring practical functionality to the 3D Printing experience.
iOn™ Natural Nylon Filament in 1.75mm diameter is an engineering grade material that can be used in demanding applications where PLA and ABS fail due to shortcomings in mechanical, thermal, or chemical performance. Select iOn™ Nylon Copolymer when you want to create parts that focus on functionality, not just fit and finish. Manufactured in the USA by 3DXtech® from virgin resins selected specifically for 3D Printing using state-of-the-art resins, colorants, manufacturing technologies to give you the best possible printing experience.
- Higher Thermal Resistance vs. ABS
- Superior Impact Strength vs. ABS
- Improved Solvent Resistance vs. ABS
- Low-Gloss Surface
- Excellent Fatigue Resistance
- Lower Friction/Wear
- Paintable Surface
- Excellent Printability
iOn™ Nylon Settings:
- Optimal Print Temp: 240-270°C (ideal layer bonding at 260-270°C), or even hotter if you have an all-metal hot-end. However, do not exceed 300°C to avoid the onset of polymer degradation. Please note: that if you have layer bonding issues, this is a typical sign that you need to use higher extruder temps.
- Bed Temp: 100-110°C. This Nylon alloy has a Tg of 105°C, which is higher than most competitive nylons on the market. Therefore, our bed temp recommendations may be higher than what you’re accustomed to when printing with other nylons.
- Bed Prep: Ideally use Polyimide Tape & ABS/Acetone Slurry [together] or any surface you’ve been using with nylon-based filaments. Please note that acetone has difficulty dissolving iOn™ and standard ABS should be used to make the slurry.
- We typically do not use a fan when printing with iOn™ and have had better success with printers that have an enclosed build area (to keep some heat in).
- Drying: iOn™ is an alloy of Nylon, therefore, absorbs it more moisture than what you may be familiar with. If the filament is stored in humid environments for an extended period of time – it will absorb moisture. While not in use, we recommend storing iOn™ in a Mylar pouch. However, if drying is needed (you hear popping noises during printing – generally water boiling off from the resin), then we recommend drying in an oven at 175°F (F, not C) for 2-4 hours. We use a dedicated oven for this purpose and do not recommend using the family oven!! Try a toaster oven – your family will thank you for not turning dinner into a science experiment.
|Spool Sizes||750 Grams||500 Grams|
|Hub Diameter (mm)||53.09||53.09|
|Spool Diameter (mm)||201.61||201.61|
|Spool Thickness (mm)||63.5||53.98|
Bed preparation is an essential key to a successful print. Our recommendation when printing iOn™ Nylon is to use what is known as ABS Slurry as a bed adhesive.
- ABS (we recommend using natural filament stands if available)
- Metal, glass, PP (polypropylene) or HDPE (high-density polyethylene) plastic container (the recycle code on the container will indicate what type of plastic it is)
- Scale or something for measuring
- Scissors, snips or cutters
ABS Slurry Instructions
- Measure 50mL of Acetone into your container
- Cut or chop ABS into small pieces measuring roughly 20g, placing it into your container of Acetone
- Once submerged in Acetone slightly agitate the chopped ABS by stirring the mixture
- Let mixture set-up overnight until all ABS pieces have dissolved
- Once done depending on how much ABS is used the mixture should have the consistency between milk and paste.
- Because this mixture uses Acetone it is NOT recommended on any printing surface except kapton tape on glass or directly to the glass.
- Using a small foam or bristle paint brush put a thin coat on the area where the print will be