Making a Paradigm Shift with 3D Printing Technology | BlogKen Lambert (SEO)
The 3D printing technology is making waves all across the globe with new uses discovered every other day. To make the point clear, firms have been trying to print out a complete railway vehicle using the technology.
That’s insane! Isn’t it?
The advancements in 3D printed filaments and easy availability of the same has triggered a new generation to explore the world of 3D printing. However, not everything is simple as it sounds.
Choosing the Right 3D printing process
Have you heard of additive manufacturing? It is an actual term that refers to multiple manufacturing processes. With 3D printing, the choices are endless and hence could not be ignored at all cost.
However, with the right material and the process, nothing but the great could be achieved. This can be game changing. But if missed the details, it could retaliate and ruin your projects completely.
Here are a few tips to help you achieve the maximum benefits from the process.
Selecting the right 3D printing material
The very natural step that comes with the 3D printing is the selection of the right material.
Are we building some gardening equipment carved in plastic or is it a automobile instrument made of plastic? The options are endless and hence should be selected carefully.
One way to start your journey to the 3D printing world is the learning about the different kinds of material. Our blog is a great resource for the same. On the other hand, make sure about the limitations of the material.
A realistic approach is expected while building a piece out of it. Make sure you have the right knowledge and a crystal clear idea about what works and what does not to aid your process.
The physical properties like melting point and other factors should not be ignored at all. This will ensure that the limitations of the material and the final product is well understood.
Selection of printing process based on properties
Every 3D printed filament has its unique set of properties, with these mechanical properties differing at each point.
The right set of questions that you need to answer are..
- What kind of part I need to build?
- Is it made up of plastic or should I go for metal parts?
- Is it ductile and malleable enough?
- Is it transparent enough?
.. and so on.
Once you have the perfect idea about the entire structure, the rest is smooth sailing.
Do I need a Flexible Material?
When it comes to flexible materials, there are quite a few number of materials that support this. Two major technologies to get the flexible parts are Selective Laser Sintering and HP multi jet fusion.
- The Multijet Fusion PA 12 can be transformed in to both rigid as well as flexible parts. The entire process depends upon the thickness of the print whereas a wall with 0.6 mm thickness could give you a flexible item.
- On the other end of the spectrum, PEBA is a rubber like material that can be used to craft flexible plastic parts that are great both for the prototypes and the final products as well. Other characteristics of the material include impact resistance, fatigue resistance and energy return. These factors make the filament perfect for most work.
Do I need a heat resistance material?
A great deal of undertakings can require some warmth safe parts, and it’s very a viewpoint you need to consider while picking your material. In the event that metal 3D printing is by all accounts the best choice, some plastic parts made through SLS 3D printing have great protection from high temperatures.
MultiJet Fusion PA12 can oppose presentation to a scope of 700 °C to 800 °C, however this obstruction is relying upon the measurements and thickness of the part. Concerning combustibility properties, the Multijet Fusion PA 12 material’s combustibility degree is acquired and affirmed by UL is HB at a 0.75 mm thickness.
Metals are clearly the safest materials with regards to warm, yet how about we see what the safest ones are.
- Titanium, 3D printed utilizing Direct Metal Laser Sintering, is a material with high mechanical properties. Titanium isn’t just sturdy and impervious to oxidation. In fact, this material has a truly elevated softening point: 1660° C or 3260° F. These safe properties make it a broadly utilized material for Aeronautics or Aerospace applications.
- Tempered Steel is likewise generally utilized in added substance producing. This metal additionally has a high dissolving point: 1400 °C. This material is utilized in assembling enterprises offering extraordinary open doors in the making of metal parts impervious to warmth and scraped spot.
Do you have to print with the least expensive material?
Who said that added substance fabricating was a costly procedure? For certain means of your improvement procedure it shouldn’t cost you a great deal for a decent outcome, for example, verification of idea or prototyping stages using modern day 3D printing filaments.
MultiJet Fusion PA12 is really the least expensive choice you will discover on Sculpteo’s online 3D printing administration. This material, in its dark crude variant, will be ideal for any prototyping procedure, permitting a cost-proficient outcome
- Utilizing different advancements, for example, Fused Deposition Modeling systems (or FDM), you will likewise approach modest fiber materials.
- ABS (Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene), a material piece of the thermoplastic polymers family. This material is extremely mainstream for people with a work area 3D printer since it is anything but difficult to utilize, simple to work, with low costs. Nonetheless, the parts printed with this innovation won’t be as exact and specialized as parts printed with mechanical SLS 3D printers.
Do you have to 3D print extremely exact parts?
What level of detail would you like to accomplish with your 3D prints? You won’t really need a similar exactness for models than for completed items. Factors, for example, the precision, the assemble size, and the layer stature are significant while deciding for the 3D printing process. As a sign, here is a normal of layer thicknesses feasible with these famous 3D printing innovation.
- FDM: 200 μm
- SLS: 100 – 120µm
- DMLS: 30 µm
- Polyjet: 28µm
Do you need a straightforward part?
Straightforward 3D printed parts can thoroughly be made utilizing added substance producing. There are really various materials and procedures to arrive at this incredible outcome.
- VeroClear is a gum 3D printed utilizing Polyjet innovation. The last item made with this pitch has a smooth surface which can be cleaned further to make close to full straightforwardness for the unmistakable tar!
- PETG, or Polyethylene terephthalate glycol, is conceivably the most clear 3D printing fiber accessible for FDM 3D printers. The distinction between utilizing this material and a Veroclear gum will be the exactness! Polyjet can make profoundly definite parts that FDM may always be unable to reach.
Choosing the right 3D printed filament can be tricky at the very least. Every filament has its unique taste and bend to the rules as per the needs. However, having a thorough knowledge about the right materials can help you build some of the finest elements that one has ever seen.
Confused about the right filament? Let the experts guide you! Get 3D printed filaments from the industry experts and build awesome crafts. Don’t believe us? Visit MakeShaper now and explore the world of 3D printing.