Everything you Need to Know About PLA 3D Printer FilamentKen Lambert (SEO)
When it comes to the best 3D printer filament, there are many options. One such option is the PLA filament. It has actually become a popular choice for FDM 3D printing and for all the good reasons. PLA is a very versatile 3D printer filament as it comes in a wide range of colors and styles making it a perfect choice for various printing applications. It is a type of printing filament that allows ease of use with vibrant color options and blending freedom. It is easily the best 3D printer filament if you want aesthetically superior printing.
The Polylactic Acid or the PLA is an amazing 3D printing filament. But what makes it so great? In this post, you can find everything important you need to know about the PLA filament and how you can use it for the best results. The more you know about the filament, the better you will be able to use it for your various creative projects. It will also help you choose the best 3D printer filament from the other top choices like ABS, PVA, PETG and more.
Here are the important things about the PLA 3D printing filament:
What is PLA Filament
The first thing you need to know is what exactly is PLA filament. PLA or the Polylactic Acid is a thermoplastic polymer and is derived from various natural resources like the corn starch or sugar cane. There are various other materials from which the PLA is derived like wood and pinewood. Most of the PLA filament is derived from natural resources which sets it apart from the other filaments that are derived via distillation and polymerization of nonrenewable petroleum sources. The PLA filament type became very popular with the popularity of the FDM 3D printing. They are available in a wide range of colors and blends, which also makes them quite different than the others. One of the reasons why the PLA is considered as the best filament for the FDM 3D printing is that it offers a great aesthetic appeal and perfect for creating a prototype of any kind.
PLA filament is created using a raw, granulated resin. The color is transparent and very clear. The material is then put a blending machine where it is mixed with other pigments and additives that forms a color. You can choose the PLA filament from two different sizes – 1.75 mm and 2.85 mm. These sizes are ideal for the FDM 3D printing needs.
When to Use the PLA for 3D printing?
PLA is the best 3D printer filament if you want to create visually appealing prototypes. It does not have mechanical strength or properties like other materials, but is perfect for the beginners. There is nothing scary about the PLA filament.
- Use PLA 3D printing filament when want rapid prototyping or visual prints.
- It is ideal for creating objects that does not have to face too much stress or strain.
- Avoid using it for creating objects that can be twisted or bent, as the PLA does not have the mechanical properties to support that kind of 3D models.
- You can use the PLA filament for creating various decorative pieces.
- They are great for art and creative projects because of their great aesthetic appeal.
Despite the lack of mechanical strength and properties, PLA is great printing option for various things like visual models, characters, figures, containers, toys and other things that does not required to be moved much.
Advantages of Using the PLA Filament for 3D Printing
PLA filament is considered the best 3D printer filament because of all the benefits it has to offer. You may find superior quality filament, but the PLA is ideal for so many things that makes it an ideal choice. If you are looking for some great reasons for using the PLA filament for 3D printing needs, here are some reasons that make it an ideal choice:
- PLA filament is very easy to use and work with. It is a hassle-free printing option that saves both time and money.
- PLA is a great material that will come out easily from the 3D printing nozzle without warping or clogging.
- PLA printing temperature is comparatively lower making it a convenient option of printing.
- High-quality prints with superior quality surface details. The 3D prints will be of superior quality with great aesthetic appeal. This makes it an ideal choice for printing decorative pieces.
- Unlike the other 3D printing filaments, the PLA filament does not give off offending odor while printing.
- PLA filament is a highly pigmented material, which is why they are available in so many blends and color options.
- It does not require too much or trimming or sanding after the printing which saves time while giving a high-quality printing result.
- It is a non-toxic and bio-degradable material making them ideal for safe printing. Kids are safe around this material.
- It is a great option for people who are environmentally conscious and need a printing filament that is green and safe for everyone.
These are some of the best things about the PLA filament that also offers it an edge over the other types of materials. Using the PLA filament is easy, cost-effective and versatile option for the serious 3D printers.
PLA Filament storage
Even the best 3D filament needs proper storage. No matter what type of filament you prefer, storing them properly will ensure that remain efficient and safe for a long time. The PLA filament storing is important if you want to keep them safe for using them for years. Generally, the PLA filament can last for a long time. Depending on the various factors, the PLA filament can be stored for a long time. Moisture and humidity can make it less efficient. It can start foaming and discolor too when it comes in contact with moisture. Make sure to keep them in safe place where it does not have to come in contact with moisture or humidity. Keeping it dry will ensure it lasts for a long time.
How to Set Pinter for PLA 3D Printing
The print setting for PLA filament will depend on the type or blend you are using. The PLA filament has an average melting point between 180 to 200 degrees C.The temperature setting for 1.75mm diameter PLA filament will be different than the one for 2.85mm diameter. Unlike the other types of filaments, the PLA does not necessarily require a heating bed as a glue stick can do the job of making the first layer to stick. One of the best options is to consult the manufacturer to find out the ideal temperature setting for the PLA filament setting. Nevertheless, the PLA filament s quite easy to use and very budget-friendly option for people. The end results will be great and post printing, you don’t have to do much to make the printed object look perfect.
These are some of the important things about the PLA filament. Its features, benefits and flexibility make it the best 3D printer filament. You can create a wide range of things with it and enjoy the quality and performance it has to offer.